‘Youth Day’ was Thursday in Parker, AZ, with young people touring local governments, businesses, nonprofits and organizations and taking part in their operations for the morning.
From left to right: Natalie Nelson (District 2), Salma Gonzales (District 1), Cameron Hansen (County Attorney, behind), Evangelina Penaloza (District 3), Angelina Flores (County Administrator) at the Board of Supervisors boardroom
From left to right: Jay Ruiz, Miya Welsh, Chris Robertson (Physical Therapy Assistant), James Hoban visiting La Paz Regional Hospital Physical Therapy Department
Margaux Lorenzoni, a Belgian exchange student, visited the studios of KLPZ, home of Parker Live. She told the radio audience that she loves Parker and wants to bring her parents back after her year here is over.
Three students with plans to go into medicine visited La Paz Regional Hospital (pictured above) and got one-on-one time with real medical professionals in a clinical environment.
And many students showed up to see a ‘mock’ Board of Supervisors meeting where the following actions were considered and voted upon by the three ‘supes’ (pictured above):
- Approved county-wide scavenger hunt hosted by the Assessor’s Office (Q: “Where will the money come from?” A: “The taxpayers”)
- Approve to replace the current school schedule for a 4-day flex schedule to be determined by each student
- Adopt Intergovernmental Agreement with Moriah Tribe in New Zealand for the purpose of facial expression training for the La Paz County Board of Supervisors
- Approve or deny request by employees to allow pets in the workplace for moral and emotional support
- Approve or deny county-wide property tax reduction of 100% (“because the people think the taxes are too high”)
- Approve Parks Department to purchase an inflatable Bounce Combo to use for weekend events (“they are water slides”).
Margaux will be in Parker, AZ until July, when she heads back to Belgium, and other Parker area seniors will be making plans for college and for the workplace, in Parker and further afield.